Read Lead Pastor Duane Mabee's weekly Pastor's Ponderings here!
Thoughts on Spiritual Warfareby Duane Mabee on February 22, 2023
We’re facing a time of spiritual warfare. I’ve heard several people say that, and I agree. A number of recent situations confirm that observation and indicate that the warfare is likely to intensify. If that’s the case, how should we respond?
Here are some thoughts taken from three Scripture passages. I encourage you to look them up and see what God says to you.
- Find your strength in the Lord and rely solely on His power. As a good soldier, you must stand firm, but the battle is not yours to win. Only the power of God will succeed.
- Personally pursue every attribute described in the armor of God – truth, righteousness, the gospel of peace, faith, salvation, the Holy Spirit, God’s Word, and prayer. The enemy will exploit any holes in your character.
- Recognize the spiritual nature of the battle and refuse to rely on natural means, talents, abilities, or strategies.
- Know your enemy. Know his schemes and tactics. Other believers are not your enemy.
- Be alert to the infiltration of Satan’s tactics, such as deception, manipulation, greed, gossip, slander, etc. You cannot win a spiritual war by using the weapons of the enemy.
- Persevere. The battle will rage for an extended period.
- Pray in the power and guidance of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray consistently for your spiritual leaders and their effectiveness.
2 Cor. 10:3-6
- Understand the spiritual nature of the battle. Don’t fight using natural methods and abilities. Use spiritual, Holy Spirit approved tools and methods.
- Be completely dependent on God’s divine power, not your own.
- Do the interior work on your own soul. Surrender your own arguments, justifications, proud opinions, and thoughts to the will and control of the Holy Spirit, and seek to live in total obedience to Him.
- Do not assume someone is on the enemy’s side simply because you don’t like their methods, or because they advocate for something you don’t like. The Pharisees did that with disastrous results.
- Don’t fight with the people on your team. If you divide the kingdom against itself, you win the war for the enemy.